Sunday, October 12, 2008

The need for sacrifice

Sacrifice doesn't mean anything if one does it for himself.
I've always had some issues with sacrificing for others. At times even simple sacrifices... I've always asked myself why ?
Why do I have to think twice or thrice while deciding to help others? I think the reason can be traced to my middle school days, standard 6,7,8. I grew up in an environment which encouraged competition. The most obvious form of competition in school was studies. In class 7, ' Oh he got 99 I got 97. Oh papa, I forgot the formula of density. I wrote volume/mass'. I'm not saying this doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter to that great an extent. It's just in mind that I have had a tendency to think "If I help someone too much, then he benefits and I lose". I do help, yes, I do help, but if I could clear all these hindrances in mind, I could be of more help to others, and integrate more. I am consciously working on improving these weak points I have in my personality.
Sacrifice in academics is not all. I must sacrifice my time for others. It might be tough for you (as a reader to understand) but the truth is I tend to stick to myself. I try being self sufficient. My friends tell me that if I dont spend time with others, then how are you going to get a girlfriend, haha. But I feel good, as I have already started to change and sacrifice for others. At times, I lose track of what I'm writing about.
The whole funda is this(I got most of it from a book I'm currently reading,I'm not referring to myslef when I write this,so don't judge me ). Human society was built by people sharing with others and receiving back also. You don't lose what you give. You get it back from others in another form, and there is solace to be got from that. Yes, in general we do help others who we know, who are more likely to return the favour, and not help random people on the road. Of course, we dont think of receiving while people(and neither do I). As for me, for my close friends, everything is unconditional.
Seek your problems, dont hide from them ?
I guess I'm thinking too much now.
Off to dinner... cya

No comments: